This huge hall was built to house the Sixth Buddhist Council convened on May 17th 1954 to recite the Pāli Tipitaka and authenticate the texts. On the 2,500th Anniversary of the Buddha’s final passing away (Parinibbāna), 2,500 monks assembled from the Theravāda Buddhist countries.
Venerable Mahāsi Sayādaw performed the central role as Chief Questioner (Pucchaka), which was fulfilled by Venerable Mahākassapa in the First Council, held three months after the Buddha’s passing away.
To house this great hall, an artificial hill was constructed by voluntary workers at Kaba-Aye in Rangoon. This great hall is still used to hold the examinations in the Tipitaka. Accommodation and a grand Sima hall were built on the same site for the monks participating in the Council. The Kaba-Aye (World Peace) pagoda is also in the same park.